Call for Submission Calling local artists!
Deadline: Friday, May 19th, 5:00pm PDT
The Rossland Council for Arts and Culture is currently welcoming proposals from local artists for Random Acts of Culture projects.
Background and Objectives
Random Acts of Culture is an RCAC initiative that supports the creation of unexpected, experimental and temporary art in public spaces with the purpose of creating a spontaneous emotional, physical and/or intellectual experience for those who encounter it.
Random Acts are often participatory, engaging and/or thought-provoking, and occur in unexpected places. The spontaneity of Random Acts causes people to take notice, be caught off guard and be moved. Art is made accessible to all members of the community.
For the past two years, Random Acts projects have focused on bringing Rossland’s arts and sports communities together via the RCAC’s Create/Recreate installations on local trails.
Random Acts of Culture projects not only encourages the audience to look at art in a different way, they influence and enrich the artists’ daily practices as they are encouraged artists to explore and experiment with different materials in unconventional environments.
The RCAC will award a maximum of $1000 each for two Random Acts projects in the 2017-18 year.
The call for submissions is open to all residents of Rossland.
The proposed Random Act project must take place within the Rossland city limits.
Random Acts of Culture projects must be weather resistant; environmentally friendly (i.e. non-toxic, non-damaging and safe for wildlife); and inclusive/accessible to the whole of the Rossland community.
All art forms/media are eligible (e.g. visual, installation, performance), provided the proposed project upholds the objectives of the Random Acts of Culture.
All submitted artwork needs to be original, created in Canada and cannot have been used elsewhere in a different context.
Projects must be completed, and all costs incurred, within the time period of June 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018.
Submissions are to be submitted in electronic format (pdf preferred) to email@example.com.
The deadline for submission is Friday, May 19th at 5:00pm Pacific Daylight Time.
Submissions must include:
- A written artist’s statement of maximum 2 pages in length, including detailed description of the proposed Random Acts projects; materials to be used; the project’s proposed location; a timeline for installation and exhibition; and intended audience participation/engagement.
- Any relevant supporting visuals (e.g sketches, photos, videos.)
- An artist’s bio, including relevant examples of past work.
- A detailed budget, outlining expenses for all needed materials and professional services, as well as the artist fee. The maximum request per proposal is $1000 CAD.
Random Acts proposals will be judged on their:
- Adherence to Eligibility Criteria and Submission Requirements, as stated above.
- Excellence/Artistic merit;
- Interactive/participatory nature;
- Appropriateness of the art piece to the context, environment and audience; and
- Feasibility within proposed time frame and budget.
RCAC will appoint a selection committee to act as a jury, and evaluate submissions on the basis of the Selection Criteria identified in the Call. The committee may seek input from city staff, members of the public and technical experts in evaluating the submissions. The committee may select a short list for further evaluation.
Winning artist(s) will be notified no later than June 1, 2017.
RCAC reserves the right to choose not to choose any of the submitted projects, based on submissions received and any other factors deemed to be in the best interest of RCAC.
The successful artist(s) will be required to enter into a written contract with the RCAC, outlining terms of the project funding, expected outcomes and timelines.
Copyright, including any and all drawings, designs, images, etc remains the property of the artist.